When people come in to see beauty therapists for advice about their skin, they don’t even realise that they have a dull looking skin. They feel something is just not right and just wish to have a better skin. A beauty therapist with a trained eye can spot a dull skin and will make product, treatment, nutritional and lifestyle recommendations to bring the glow back fast.
Watch the video:
What are the signs of a dull skin?
- Grey appearance - the skin looks greyish, lack of life and vitality.
- Tired looking - first impression is that the skin appears fatigued.
- Dehydrated skin - surface crinkling and wrinkling, tight feeling.
- Dark shadows under the eyes - due to poor circulation, fluid buildup, dehydration or dead cell buildup.
- Rough skin- skin feels rough to the touch.
What causes dull skin?Dull skin is the result of neglecting proper skincare, poor lifestyle and diet.
- Your skin is dehydrated
- Not exfoliating regularly
- Using soap on your face
- Using products that contain alcohol
- Not cleansing your skin properly
- Excess sun exposure
- Poor Nutrition / Toxins / Processed foods
- Drugs / medication
- Lack of Sleep
- Lack of exercise
Read my blog post How to Tell If Your Skin Is Dehydrated and What You Can Do to Prevent It
What are the consequences of dull skin?If you do not look after your skin properly or improve your lifestyle, nutrition, health and wellbeing, the consequences of dull skin is premature ageing and skin sensitivities. A dull skin is a skin that is not functioning at it best, so it can’t do the job to protect us from the environment. A dull skin can eventually lead to congestion, breakouts, acne, rashes and inflammatory skin condition such as eczema and dermatitis.
How to revive & bring back the glow for a radiant skin
Skincare tips for a healthy, glowing skin:
2. Exfoliate your skin regularly with a gentle conditioning & brightening exfoliant.
3. Use brightening serums with vitamin C, green tea, dandelion extract, or prickly pear.
4. Moisturise your skin with moisturisers that contain hyaluronic acid and minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium and calcium.
5. Boost skin radiance with a detox brightening mask.
6. Wear a sunscreen every day.
Wellness tips to boost radiance:
8. Drink more spring water during the day and eat foods high in water content such as melon, cucumber, orange, capsicum, berries, iceberg lettuce and celery.
9. During the day, drink at least one green smoothie rich in micronutrients for skin health.
10. Drink one green tea and/or dandelion leaf tea every day.
11. Avoid processed foods and eat foods rich in vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids. Foods that are especially good for your skin include salmon, avocados, walnuts, nuts & seeds, berries, green leafy salads, bright coloured vegetables such as capsicum, tomatoes and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage.
12. Avoid smoking, sugar and alcohol.
13. Go to bed early with a good book and get at least eight hours of sleep.
14. Go for an early morning walk, and enjoy exercise regularly.
15. Practice mindfulness and adopt stress management techniques such as yoga, meditation, doing more things that make you happy every day.
Tips for an instant skin pick-me-up:
17. Ask your hairdresser to colour match your hair to your skin so it complements your skin.
18. Use a bronzer for an instant glow, but make sure the colour matches your skin tone.
19. Apply at home or book a professional spray tan for instantly glowing skin.